Rooney Not Stopping At 100

Default
Despite being set to earn his 100th cap for England in an European Championship qualifier match against Slovenia on Saturday, Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney says his international career is a long way from over.
Rooney will become the ninth player to amass 100 caps for England when he leads the side out at Wembley on Saturday, but he is by far the youngest to reach the milestone and says he plans on earning a lot more.
“It is something I have really enjoyed doing,” said Rooney.
“It has always been a great honour to play for England and something I want to carry on doing for a lot more years.”
Looking back at his 100 caps, Rooney admits there have been some difficult moments and his main goal is to lift silverware for his country.
“There have been some good moments and some bad moments,” added Rooney.
“I think the ultimate goal, which I've always said, is to win trophies and it something which we are working towards doing.
“To get 100 caps and join the players who reached that is a great honour for me and something I am proud of.
“That's what I would like to join, be a World Cup winner. That would be amazing, of course, if we could do that.
“To play for my country so many times is a great achievement and I truly am honoured to be able to do that.”
At present Rooney has scored 43 goals for England since making his debut as a 17-year-old in 2003.
Rooney looks well capable of surpassing Peter Shilton's record haul of 125 caps while Charlton's scoring record of 49 is also within range.
“They are two records that have stood for a lot of years,” continued Rooney.
“To get within touching distance... it is something I hope I can do, but it is not something really in mind at the moment.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information and communication science